Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Moscow metro prices

When I come back home I always find some unpleasant surprises. And this time wasn’t different. I was going to my friend and thought that it’s easier to go by underground. Everything seemed the same: crowds, beggars, dogs and rude cashier. I wanted to buy a two-ways ticket and as I was in Moscow last time in September I remembered that this ticket was 44 roubles, but now angry lady shouted that it became more than 50 now.

When I met my friend she listened to my angry speech about increase of prices and fall of salaries. She smiled and said that it’s Russian New Year tradition to change prices in underground. “Soon it will be cheaper to buy a car”.

It was very true I just forgot that when I was a student we were joking on how they changed prices in winter. My sister, who is now a last year student in Russia, thinks that it’s easy to check inflation with help of student underground ticket. “Just look, five years ago student ticket was 75 roubles and now it’s 350! So it became 5 times higher! Same with prices”.

I know that it’s Russian tradition to find advantages in bad situations, but I prefer to check inflation with Bloomberg help. And what’s about underground, I wish it would stay with its main duty – be the cheapest transport for citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment