Saturday, January 9, 2010

Coolness or craziness?



Yesterday I talked with my friend, who has a 3 year-old daughter. This autumn she wanted to send her daughter to kinder garden. At first we were talking about problems that could happen and then we started to speak about future school years and how difficult it is to defend your child during this period of time.



Marina and I had different positions at school. If I was some kind of a class representative, the person who created all events, Marina was a geek and people didn’t like her. She thought that her main problem was her very strict parents. They didn’t allow her to wear make up, go to school events and till last year at school took her from school after the lessons. She didn’t want the same destiny for her child and asked me how to avoid these problems but not to make new ones.


http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hKyc15w4ECE/S0h_4n9gwNI/AAAAAAAAADU/fPM4W5PTZCA/s1600-h/kid_cellphone.jpg



Frankly speaking, I didn’t know what to answer. I remember that when I was at school it was very important to have a cool cell phone and expensive clothes. My parents didn’t want to waste money in this way and preferred to take my sister and me to some foreign countries and show new places instead. I thought the same as my parents and believed that two days in Stockholm was much better than outfits from NafNaf, Motivi and others (at that time these shops were very expensive in Russia).



I understood that my class mates would make jokes of me if they knew that I bought clothes in the local market. So it was sometimes difficult to avoid such inquiries as where you bought these boots or jeans, if it is classy and costly enough but because everyone wanted to listen to my stories about Germany or France, they preferred not to bother me with such questions.



I think it’s very important to balance between ridiculous school rules and your wishes. Maybe sometimes it’s better to buy something similar to others, but next time to lie about buying something. I think there can be no precise guidelines on how to act at school and as it’s our first society it’s important to remember all the problems that you have had and try to avoid them in future societies such as university, work and so on.



By the way, my friend decided to buy the most expensive handy for her daughter.

1 comment: