Wednesday, December 23, 2009

So who is the president?



I decided to take a good look at the Berlusconi’s scandal, when some mad man broke his nose. I looked through different papers, when the Daily Mail attracted my attention.












Strangely enough, it wasn’t about Silvio Berlusconi’s trauma.


It was about journalistic accuracy. In the middle of the article I read that French and Russian presidents support Berlusconi and I was shocked to find out that Russian president was Putin.

Wait a minute, I wasn’t in Russia only three months but somehow the president became Putin?The responsible Daily Mail editor even didn’t want to google the name of Russia’s president…


It’s clear that some people think that the real Russian president is Putin. Believe me, as a Russian living in the UK I’m tired to hear this question: “So who is the real president of Russia?

However, it’s not an excuse for a journalist and editor to make such a mistake. As a Russian I feel bad, when I read such things. It looks as though we live in Stone Age and it’s impossible to check the information you write!

Frankly speaking, I don’t understand what this situation actually means. The Daily Mail is a middle market newspaper, but I can’t believe that unqualified people can work there. Somehow I think that maybe they just want to show their attitude to Russia? I feel some kind of disrespect in this action.

I really hope that it was due to some technical problem and they will edit this article as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment